Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Lasagna

This is my 2nd attempt. The first attempt went rather horribly wrong. Sigh...

The sauce is my all time favourite. It's the easiest thing to do. I perfected this sauce a longggg time ago. But the first time I made lasagna became disastrous..because I just sprinkled cheese INSTEAD of making the cheese sauce..and I used a pre-cooked lasagne sheet (from San Remo), which is a big NO-NO...since there wasn't any cheese sauce.

Plus, I was very stupid in layering. The last layer I put was a lasagna sheet, then I sprinkled the cheese. When it came out of the oven...the sheet was super duper hard..and the cheese..well, was slightly burnt. Luckily the layers below were alright..and the kids and I whacked the whole thing in.

So..here's my perfected version :

lasagna

Cheese sauce
A huge dollop of butter
3 tbs of flour
300gm cheese (I know..it's abit much, but I love cheese!)
2 cups of milk

Add butter to hot pot. When melted, stir in flour and it'll get lumpy. Mix it with milk and try to smoothen out lumps. Once smoothen, mix in Cheese. It should be nice and thick.

Lasagna sauce
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, diced
800gm Italian whole Roma tomatoes
5-6 white button mushrooms (medium sized), diced
600gm beef mince (or you can mix 300gm beef and 300gm pork mince)
3 tbsp of tomato paste
dollops of oyster sauce
1 chinese dessert soup spoon of sugar
sprinkles of dried Italian herbs

Fry onion and garlic. Add minced meat and fry till browned. Add in mushrooms and tomatoes. Add in tomato paste, oyster sauce and sugar. If you like it spicy, add in some dried chilli flakes. Sprinkle in dried Italian herbs. Simmer for 35 minutes, until thick. It should not be watery or your lasagna will be....well, watery!

Lasagna Sheets
Cook according to package instructions.

First layer is the lasagna sheet. Then meat sauce, then cheese sauce. Last layer is meat sauce, cheese sauce. Then scatter some parmesan cheese over. Bake for about 20 minutes under 180 C. It'll smell heavenly....

bon appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiyo..looks and sounds soo delicious - Hungry liao la!!!!!

Btw, i find that if you use an egg beater to stir in the flour into the melted butter, it will create a smooth paste, without the lumps.

moms tales said...

made this the other day. Nice ah. Been wanting to try cos I always mess mine up. Then, I gave up. Until your version saved my life! You are a life-saver...hehehhe...:-)