Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake - The noob way

DSC_0883

This is the absolute beginner's step by step version. If you are an experienced baker..please, this is quite embarrassing for me. But you have to leave.

I baked this cake for the very first time today. In fact, it is the first ever time, baking a sponge-like cake. I'm not counting in the times, I helped my mother, because it would be stupid to do so.

This is the step by step, with lots of pictures, forgive the bad lighting, I just have no time to photoedit them. I'm a mother of three, struggling to make ends meet! HA HA HA..

I got this recipe through another blogger, Constance from Fad About Food. From the links, where the original recipe is found, there are several helpful comments and that's how I came up with this step by step guide, because I realised, there are many noobs like me out there!

I just want to point out, that for cakes, there is no such thing as simply whack. There is an exact science to getting perfect cakes. I fail in them most of the time, but today, I adhered to many of my mother's golden rules. Amazingly, I actually was listening back then!

So, please...if I say or show the wrong thing, tell me...

Ingredients :
140gm Castor Sugar (or fine granulated sugar)
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks (I used 60gm eggs)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50gm unsalted butter
250gm cream cheese (Philadelphia)
100ml fresh/low fat milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
60gm cake flour/self raising flour
20gm cornflour/corn starch
1/4 tsp salt.

Method:
1. Melt cream cheese, butter, salt and milk over a double boiler. I don't have a double boiler, so I used a huge pot, filled up with water and put in my lil steamer plate and my pyrex bowl on top of it.

DSC_0852DSC_0855

Cool the mixture. I decided to cover it, with a cloth to eliminate any water(steam) drips.

2. Sift self-raising flour, and cornflour, twice. I also sunned it, to give it more 'air'. My mom used to do that. It works, I guess.

DSC_0861

3. Separate the egg yolks and whites. Always remember to have three bowls. One for the separating action (just in case the yolks break, then at least you wouldn't have messed up the clean whites). As you can see, what happened to mine. I think it's ok, if there's a lil white with the yolks, but never vice versa.

DSC_0864

4. Fold in with a whisk, the combined flour, lemon juice, egg yolks and mix well.

DSC_0867

5. Whisk egg white (with a really good mixer) till foamy (see picture). Then add cream of tartar.

DSC_0866

6. Whisk till soft peaks.

DSC_0868

7. Slowly add in sugar. I used a teaspoon and added in one at a time. I waited for a few whisk turns before adding another. Until it's all well combined with sugar, beat until stiff moist consistency. See the difference between this picture and the one before? This is def. more stiffer and 'harder'. Almost like a meringue! (And from this, I know how to make meringues!!!! YAY!)

DSC_0870

8. Take 1/4 of the egg white, using whisk, stir into the flour and cream cheese mixture (from No.4). Actually, I used a "cut and fold" method. Where you use a big spoon, scraping the sides, making a full circle, the cut right into the middle, and fold and start making the full circle again. Helps capture the air, apparently.

DSC_0871

9. After well combined, put in remaining egg whites and use 'cut and fold' method and well combined. Don't overmix. That's what they say...but I honestly, have no clue what that means. Apparently, if you overmix, you'll release all the air and your mixture will flatten. Did I not say baking was an exact science???

DSC_0872

10. Prepare your 8" deep round tin. (Actually, you should prepare this first - duh....I'm so silly, only inserting this in now..).

DSC_0865

11. Bake cheesecake in a water bath. Basically putting the cake tin, in another bigger oven safe dish, filled with water. Bake at 160deg Celcius (never fan forced), for 1 hour 10 min.

DSC_0873

12. Once the oven "dings"...pls leave your cake in there. DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR FOR ABOUT 2 hours. Or your cake will sink. Which mine did...because I was too greedy. But nonetheless...it tasted sooooo good! Just like it was store-bought. Best eaten fresh. Can't really keep for more than 1 day.

2 comments:

moms tales said...

phew...luckily i not experienced, so i can stay...:-D. Dunno when i got time to try though :-(

CL said...

I am tempted to try to bake this one too. I was just wondering whether I can omit the lemon juice or not or is there any alternative. YOu see, MIL is allergic to citrus. And if Terry and I don't like it, she will finish the cake I am sure.