Friday, July 24, 2009

The Chewiest Chocolate Chip Cookie ever!

And..all thanks to a 15, well, 16 already year old guy. He is so passionate about his craft..and I love passionate people. I may have 3 sons...but at this point of time, I wish he was my 4th!

Again, this is the noob way. With pictures..so people will see what's happening. If you're an experienced cook/chef/pastry chef.... go. Please. Thank you.

Now *fans ownself to cool down*...

Let's goooooo!

The foodie I'm talking about, posted up the bestest chewiest choc chip cookie recipe..and I followed it to a 'T'. Except for the last part, which had some fancy named salt. I didn't bother salting it...coz, when the smell of heavenly butter mixed with choc chips wafted through the air, all I could think about, was, when I can eat them?

I always thought baking cookies were so difficult, because one needed to use hands. What with the mixing with hands, rolling them into balls..and with cookies, there are so many of them! I'm not opposed to using my 10 digits....I'm just l-a-z-y!

So, on with the recipe! It's the same as his, only thing I converted it from American terms to well, my terms (which is British, tho I'm not!). Also..best you read why the recipe calls for certain ingredients at his post, so, you won't want to use anything else, to get this guaranteed result.

280gm bread flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
225gm unsalted butter
210gm packed brown sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
226.8gm semisweet choc chunks/Nestle's choc bits
113.4gm chopped pecans/nuts

_DSC0900
First, we lay out our clingwraps.

_DSC0902

Although this brand of bread flour, said it was sifted thrice. I sifted thrice again. Imagine, it was sifted 6 times! This baby's gotta rise! I sifted it with the salt and baking soda.

_DSC0903
Then, we melt our butter...

_DSC0904

Then, we mix our brown sugar with an electric mixer, until it's well-combined. I hate it when recipes use this word...because I'm always guessing what 'well-combined' means. So...after guestimating what well-combined meant, I mixed it my vanilla essence and 1 egg and 1 yolk (I'm so glad I did that..I almost wanted to mix it the whole egg).

_DSC0919

Looking decidedly well mixed, I added in flour, s-l-o-w-l-y.

_DSC0922

One scoop at a time, and cutting and folding. At first, it seemed like there wouldn't be enough flour....but trust me, when you get to the end..it's all good.

_DSC0923

And might I add, your arms get a real workout too!

_DSC0924
Add, the chocolate chips and mix well.

_DSC0925

Spoon it out onto the clingwraps..I know, looks like something I'd rather not mention on a food blog. Ahem.


_DSC0905
Sigh....and off to the fridge, these ugly babies go.

The first batch, I left in the fridge, for about 12 hours. I fired up our oven at 160Deg C. I actually bought an oven temperature earlier, knowing that my oven is abit temperamental...and it took about 1/2 hour for it to reach that temperature! Not the usual 10 minutes as most cookbooks would say. Hmph!

_DSC0914
Since it's chilled, it's quite easy to cut it up.

I couldn't wait any longer..and quickly baked it. As I put it on timer (I had to tend to my younger kids)... it came out abit hard. Not as chewy as I wanted it to be. But, it was still crunchy..and didn't crumble that much. Very good quality choc chip cookies. I gave them all away. HA HA HA HA HA....Hey! They still tasted good..but they weren't chewy, which was what I was hankering for.

The second batch I made, was in the fridge for about 18 hours. I baked it for exactly 18 minutes..and yanked it out of the oven, to cool. I could not wait..and had my first bite at the 5th minute. It's sooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo fantastic. Left it overnite..and it still tastes great. And very chewy too.

_DSC0917

If you like it more crunchy, by all means, bake it about 2 minutes longer.

All thanks to that 16 year old guy, who I sincerely hope will keep his passion for cooking, aflamed in his heart for a long long time!

4 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

oh they look so delish. i feel like taking a bite :D

CL said...

I am going to try your recipe now. yum yum... from your decription, I cant wait to eat them.

ylin said...

psst, do u fold in the flour or mix with mixer? Maybe will give it a go next weekend.

IMMomsDaughter said...

Wah! Got recipe blog some more never tell me.